Tuesday, July 19, 2011

He Works Hard For The Money!

 I read somewhere the other day that John Mayer said he was leaving twitter so he could get back to his music. A very interesting statement that is worth talking about; by the way, I could not agree more, musicians and singers should concentrate on making music and let the public talk about them and create the social media “buzz”. I realize that’s easy to say when you are a radio friendly hit machine like Mayer (I do wish he would play more Clapton worthy guitar like he is very capable of) and have the full backing of a major label behind you. Having a twitter account is OK and posing random thoughts on your website is great but if I have to read another tweet from Diddy asking me if I’m drinking Ciroc Vodka and or what to mix it with I may just cancel my own twitter account @deanla (plug for me)! Maybe this is why Diddy Dirty Money really isn’t that great, too much hype!
If you’re starting out and trying to get noticed then you have no choice but to not only make good music but get people to hear it. The good news it that with so many avenues available via the internet you can (with a lot of hard work and some luck) create your own buzz until its time for someone else to handle it for you.
 Here’s a great example of a hard working rapper from Davenport, IA (yes, Davenport, IA!) that goes by the name Jskillz. He has his own record label, handles his own publicity and most important he’s throwing down hot beats and mix tapes with a lot of passion. Check out the 152 songs here (start with “Let’s Party”).

If you like to hear the freshest Mix tapes around from artists you have never heard (get a free new mix every week) then check out this site:

Another prime example of hard work comes from The Life Saverz. Two brothers (Josh-Roc & Brian-Hendrix) originally from New Orleans that relocated after hurricane Katrina to Alpharetta, GA and are now making relevant music for Major Move Records. I really like the track “Can’t Get Enough”. Let me know what you think?

Remember the beauty of music is that the sound is whatever you want it to be. Listen to it all! Change the station, explore, and then decide if it’s, “The Best Music I Never Heard!”

If you are stranded on a desert Island (as promised from yesterday) and can only have three CD’s with you for eternity, these would be my choices:
Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run
U2 – The Joshua Tree
The Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed

That’s all for today, time to get back to my new Spotify account (remember I have way to much time on my hands!). I’ve been searching and listening to lots of new artists. Another great method for new bands to be heard! More on this to come..
  

No comments:

Post a Comment