Friday, July 15, 2011

SHOUT IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD!

 These words have been etched in my mind since first hearing the song, PIECE OF MY HEART" by that raspy blues goddess the late, great Janis Joplin. Yes the weekend is here and its time to party, rock & roll, boogie, get down, get funky, throw it down or just chill out! But any way I (or you) choose to do it, make music a part of it!
 To get everyone in the mood, here are a couple of bands that you haven’t heard yet playin’ some good Roadhouse Blues music. First up out of Florida comes Franc Robert with the new CD “Why Do I Never Win” released on Mind Balm Records.  Be sure to check out the hot guitar licks on the track “Runnin’ Man I Will Be”.

 Let’s head over to Branson, Missouri and checkout newcomers Smooth Down Under featuring Richard Wilson on guitar and vocals. I recommend the song “Mad Dog” to give you an idea how hot this band sounds. They are tearing up the clubs in the Midwest USA this summer!

 To remind you that great new music can also come from “old” bands, I suggest giving a listen to the latest CD release from the Steve Miller Band called “Let Your Hair Down” This legendary blues rocker is still going strong with one of the tightest veteran bands around (which includes another legend,  Norton Buffalo on harmonica). Miller’s new song, “I Got Love If You Want It” sounds like he recorded it during the “Fly Like An Eagle” sessions (maybe right after “Take The Money And Run”). Don’t get me started on Rock & Roll nostalgia or we’ll never get to the weekend! Here is a link to the website to check out all his recent music:

Since today’s topic is “If It Makes You Feel Good” I want to share with you a band that has been introduced to me that plays adult-oriented rock music. They are a very special and unique band called N.E.D. (No Evidence Of Disease). All six members are practicing gynecologic oncologists whose goals are to save lives! N.E.D. is officially part of a non-profit foundation in Portland, OR. The fund is committed to raising awareness about gynecologic cancers and providing monies for research in this area. All proceeds from the band’s endeavors go directly to the fund. Their first full length CD is called “6 Degrees”. Check it out at the link below and learn more about this “feel good” band.

 Finally, here’s my two cents worth on the coming of Spotify digital music service to the US market, and yes, I did request my invite yesterday. I think this is a great thing! The more portals to hear music the better. I do not believe this spells the end of the download market but as proven in European markets where Spotify operates, digital downloads actually grew. This is the best new method for discovering new music. This will lead to more downloads and buys of music you like to hear. More on music business 101 next week, for now enjoy the weekend and SHOUT if it makes you feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment