Monday, July 18, 2011

JUST PUSH PLAY!

 Over the weekend, while with a group of friends, some music started playing which prompted the reply, “I’m so sick of them and that song again”. That lead to a long debate (I’m guessing that’s no surprise to all reading my music blog). Isn’t this the entire point behind listen to new music?

Regardless if it’s a band just starting or a legendary band, if it’s good music you will listen and probably (hopefully) search it out. The Doors for example have not been able to make new music (RIP Jim Morrison) for thirty years and I will still turn up the volume to Roadhouse Blues. On the other hand The Eagles have been around (on and off) for about as long but some say they haven’t recorded a memorable song in many years. What do you think?   Let’s look at the band Train, they have been around for almost fourteen years, have had some success in the past, mostly playing clubs and doing almost half a show of cover songs (quite well I will add). They would hand out live burns of the show to you as you would leave the event (very cool idea and I think more artists should consider this). Then they released “Hey, Soul Sister” now I find myself turning it down when I hear it. Don’t get me wrong I love that tune and will forever have it on my ipod playlist. But, now more of their songs will be heard (even without me asking you to listen). A song that was released on the 2006 CD For Me, It’s You called “Cab” deserves another listen. Here is a link to hear it along with all their great songs. Don’t get too sick of it:

Maybe we’ll all be sick of Florence & the Machine, Mumford and Sons, The Band Perry or Travis Porter in a few years. For now let’s play them all! That’s enough of Rock & Roll 101 for today. Think about your top three CD’s to have on a “desert island”, in other words the one’s you can play over and over again.

Here are a couple of new bands to check out. First, the kick ass metal band The Head Cat may be new but this trio of rock veterans know how to bring the energy. Teaming up are; Lemmy (Motorhead), Slim Jim Phanton (Stray Cats) and Danny B. Harvey (Rockats). The CD is “Walk the Walk…Talk the Talk”. Here is a link to some live tracks, crank it up and enjoy:

On a slightly lighter sound, let’s travel “down under” and check out this somewhat unknown Aussie band called Late for Breakfast.  I love the horns and the overall Steely Dan vibe that keeps me coming back for more. This track is called: “Teller Of Things To Come”.

Last night in legendary Asbury Park, New Jersey at the Wonder Bar, 400 people were enjoying the Sensational Soul Cruisers with J.T. Bowen (www.soulcruisers.com) along with opening act Nick Clemons (Clarence’s son) doing a tribute show to the late GREAT Clarence Clemons when Bruce Springsteen came on stage (first time since the passing of Clarence) and paid tribute to the “Big Man” with a 45 minute set! Here are two links (one just isn’t enough) to check out, “Ain’t to Proud to Beg” and “Raise Your Hand” along with “Knock On Wood”.

I also want to wish a very Happy 93rd Birthday to Nelson Mandela today!! Much Love!

1 comment: